Content Cards: Text Structures, Grades 9-12

Today’s post is Text Structures for Different Types of Writing.  I designed this tool for teachers, but there are many pages that will also be good resource materials for students.   In this handy guide, you’ll find a quick overview of the text types (i.e., Argumentative, Informational, Narrative) in the Common Core State Standards.  AFter that, I’ve included my content cards for the following five text structures: compare/contrast, cause/effect, problem/solution, sequence, and description.

Check these out to see if they are something you can use!  Here’s the link: http://datadeb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/001_text_structures-deb-wahsltrom.pdf

10 Comments

1. Victoria Krout
    July 13, 2012

I love these! Are they available for 6th through 8th grade?

1. Deborah Wahlstrom
      July 14, 2012

Glad you like these; I am working on another set for middle school and will post them when they are finished. Thanks for asking!

2. Barb C.
    September 8, 2012

I love the way your content cards are organized. What a great resource. Thanks you.

3. Alexandrina S.
    October 11, 2012

Thank you for sharing your Content Cards at the high school. I noticed in a previous blog, someone asked if you were creating these for middle school. Do you plan on creating this for elementary grades 3-5?

1. Deborah Wahlstrom
      December 20, 2012

I do. It’s just a matter of when I can get to it.

4. Leslie Bruyns
    October 11, 2012

I love this….is this available with the standards for 3-5? I would love to use the text structure cards but would need the standards for the lower grades since I teach 4th grade.

1. Deborah Wahlstrom
      December 20, 2012

Looks like I need to get this done sooner rather than later!

5. Ebahiri Akade
    April 9, 2013

Great resource. I teach Middle school and I simply cross referenced the standards for my grade. Thank you for sharing ;))

6. Roseanne DeCesari
    June 6, 2013

These are incredible! Thank you so much. I too would like to see them for K-5.

7. Jennifer Nagar
    April 2, 2017

Thank you so very much! These are awesome.